Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Saying Good-bye when you leave your kids at college

David and Val and Rylea are in North Carolina getting Tanner settled at UNC at Wilmington. I know the trip home will be a long one with lots of tears. I know how they feel. I've been through it twice and it's not easy. All those parenting books and watching your kids grow and change cannot prepare you for this adequately. The 18 years have come and gone too quickly and it's not time to say good-bye yet. That last hug before they come home will be long and filled with love, care, and concern for each other. It's an important hug cause it will have to last until August when Tanner gets to come home before beginning the Fall semester.

I've told Val I still cry leaving my kids and they are 26 and 23 years old. You could say it's hormones, but I say, "NO to that!" It's love and leaving your children behind. It's never easy telling them good-bye and wondering when you will see them next. So, Val and David and Rylea, my heart goes out to you and if I were there with you I'd be crying too. I know if I talk to you after you leave I'll start crying, but that's okay. I cry because I care and understand and love you all. Our children grow up, but they will always be our babies and no matter how old they are we will always worry and miss them and wonder when we will get our next hug.

No comments: