Sunday, November 9, 2008

My mama's chocolate gravy

My mom was a wonderful person. She was also quite a character. I think I got many of my personality traits from her. She loved life and she also loved to laugh. She was well known in her circle of family and friends as a great cook. Many mornings she would prepare me a hot breakfast and for a special treat she would prepare something she called chocolate gravy. Her chocolate gravy was divine; it was melt in your mouth--stick to your ribs goodness especially when served over homemade buttered biscuits. I think of all the breakfasts she prepared this had to be my all time favorite. I don't have my mom's actual recipe, but I found this at www.allrecipes.com. I have made it several times and it's pretty yummy. I did half the recipe so maybe I wouldn't eat as much. I haven't served it over biscuits yet, just buttered toast. I've also eaten it straight from the pan as a warm pudding. I think it might also be good over waffles. So you can really make chocolate a breakfast food without guilt if you prepare it as chocolate gravy.


Chocolate Gravy II
SUBMITTED BY: MARY ANN PUTMAN

1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 cups milk
(I also add a sprinkle of cinnamon)

DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in a saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add cocoa and flour; stir until a thick paste is formed. Stir in sugar and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.

As my sweet mama used to say, "You can make this in two shakes of a lamb's tail!"
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will try this soon. Thanks for the recipe.