Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Is it kind, true, and necessary?

I hadn’t intended to post again on Susan Boyle (or at least until she performed again), but after reading the question Janna posted at Moms like me and the comments that followed, I had to respond. Her question was “What does everyone think of Susan Boyle, the British singing sensation? Do you love her or hate her?…….”

I’m sorry but can we not be happy for Susan and her sudden fame. I know she has gotten an enormous amount of news coverage from TV to internet to radio, but goodness gracious!!! Just turn your TV and radio to different channels or turn them off, and don’t read about her if you don’t want to. I think she deserves every bit of attention she is getting and I‘m thrilled for her. I am reminded once more of my sweet mama’s words, “if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all.” I read some of the comments to my hubby and he summed it up pretty well by saying, “Maybe these folks aren’t too happy with their own lives and they have to make negative comments about others”. Let’s not react negatively when someone has good fortune. Be happy for them. I choose to believe Susan will do well and I for one am looking forward to hearing her sing more.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I’m drawn to a lesson I’ve taught my students many times. I always ask my students to ask themselves three things if they were wondering whether to say something:
1. Is it kind?
2. Is it true?
3. Is it necessary?

Words that are spoken or written can have a devastating effect on someone. They can cut and tear into your very being. I’m far from perfect and I probably let my unkind self out the most with my hubby (sorry baby--I do love you!!) and when my kids were home, they suffered the wrath of mom also and oh, how I love them! I guess what I’m saying is let’s be fair-minded as much as possible. Think….. Is it kind, necessary, true? If our words are going to hurt someone, must they be spoken or could they be spoken in a less hurtful way?


On a totally unrelated topic:
My husband reminded me he has three things he always tells me when I’m shopping:
1. Do I need it?
2. Is it worth it?
3. Where am I going to put it?

For some unknown reason, I told my friends what my hubby said and they have never let me forget it. They remind me every blasted time I want to buy something.

No comments: