Friday, October 31, 2008

Secret Life of Bees

Why are people so cruel?
On Friday, Oct. 24th, hubby and I went to see Secret Life of Bees. I hadn't read the book so I can't compare the two, but I did love the movie. I cried. It made me sick when I saw the cruelty and prejudiceness of some people. I found it hard to understand how people could be so incredibly MEAN. I am thankful I was raised in a home of love and not of hate for others. My mama always told me to live by the golden rule, "Treat others as you want to be treated." I believe hate and prejudice are learned behaviors and parents should realize that children learn what they live. A verse from Proverbs 22:6 sums up what I believe: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Well, off my soapbox and on to the movie. I love Dakota Fanning and she played the part of Lily so well. What a difficult life Lily had lived, but she did not let the cruelty of her dad, T. Ray, become her downfall. Thankfully, she had Rosaleen (Jennifer Hudson), a nanny and housekeeper, that showed her kindness and love. Queen Latifah played August, the eldest of 3 sisters and the primary beekeeper. I felt this was quite a different portrayal for her, and she played the part with strength and love. I say 5 stars. Go see it!! It has a message. One we need to be reminded of. That's all I got. How do you like that?

No comments: