Monday, August 20, 2012

mY Pinterest Projects--the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I've decided that one of my retirement projects will be to post about projects and recipes I have tried on Pinterest.  What I post will strictly be my opinion.  I hope that giving my opinion does not offend anyone.  I just think that sometimes people see something on Pinterest and it may say,  "This is the best...... ,  my family's favorite meal,  so easy to do, etc. so you pin it and someone pins from you, and so on and so forth.  You might do a project that you think someone you know has done and in reality they haven't.  They are simply repinning.  I'm going to be honest and even tell you if I plan on making/doing it again.  When adding pins to your boards, check out the link to see if it works.  I hate going to what I think is a recipe or project to find out it is no where to be found or worse yet it links to spam.  You can link to recipe/project by clicking on title below each picture.  So here goes.........  I hope it doesn't get too bad or I step on someone's toes. 

Recipes...
Cauliflower Popcorn--Roasted Cauliflower
 This was delicious.  I don't normally eat or even like cauliflower, but in an effort to eat healthier I thought I would try this.  I've already made it twice.  I liked it so much the first time that I decided to double it the second time.  This didn't work so well as the cauliflower didn't brown as well.  I added some pepper, and then Parmesan cheese right before serving.
***** Will definitely make again

Roasted cabbage

I have never been a fan of cooked cabbage, except for eating sauerkraut occasionally.  My niece, Shelly, loves cooked cabbage, but I never acquired the taste for it.  Again in my quest to be healthier, I tried this.  It was okay.  I loved the bacon and yes I know that part is not so healthy, but I love me some bacon!!!  It took longer to cook than specified.  It would probably cook better  if cut in smaller wedges.

*** I will possibly make this again, but warning:  Opening up a container of cooked cabbage a day later is not so pleasant.  In fact, the smell is kind of gross.  






Man pleasing chicken


Ok, this was a flop in my book.  I was anticipating something that was delicious, melt in your mouth, stick to your ribs, etc. based on the  notes of this pin.  Chicken is my favorite meat, but it can be boring to have the same thing all the time so I was branching out and using a strange combination of ingredients like Dijon mustard and maple syrup.  I was hoping for a taste explosion, but it didn't happen.  Now I will tell you I didn't have REAL maple syrup and I wasn't going to pay anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 for a bottle so I went with my pancake syrup.  Maybe this was the problem or the fact that I used chicken breast strips not thighs.  If you make this and it is good, let me know.  Better yet, if you live near me, call me up and I'll come sample it.  I want to know if it was just me.  Hubby didn't really like it either.  My pups enjoyed it though!! 
**Will not make again, unless you convince me otherwise. 

Almond Joy Pie
OH MY GOODNESS!!  A taste explosion!  If you like coconut and chocolate, you MUST make this!  It was incredibly delicious and the ease of preparation was unbelievable.  This is rich, rich, rich.  That's probably the reason I love it!  Note:  I only used 1/4 cup of sugar because the coconut is already sweet.  Remember serving at room temperature makes cutting a beautiful slice of awesomeness easier.


*****(I'd put more, but I've decided to stay with a 5 star standard)  I will definitely be making this again.  I wish I had some right now.




What I want to try in the weeks ahead......




Quilt as you go

No comments: